What is a School Counselor?
A school person who provides guidance and counseling to ALL Students.
A resource person
A group facilitator
What does a School Counselor Do?
- Works with individual groups
- Helps identify needs of students
- Encourages better interpersonal relationships
- Promotes positive attitudes and choices
- Aides teachers and parents in helping students
- Coordinates efforts with other school specialist
- Facilitates discussion groups
- Maintain confidentiality
- Assist at risk students
- Provides preventive counseling
- Can provide referrals to outside agencies
- Consult with parents and school personnel
How does a student see the Counselor?
- Self Referral
- Parent Referral
- Principal Referral
- Teacher Referral